Sunday, February 21, 2010

Midway....

Well it has been about 3 months since my Professor at UVI approached me with the opportunity to partake in UCOSP. I spent a few days reading up on the projects and talking to some people who partook in Fall Semester 2009 before I finally made my decision, which since I am writing this, must of been the right one. I settled with pony-build, there was no one else working on it, it was in its infancy, and I wanted to do something different, python, and who can pass up a project led by a guy named C. Titus Brown-- What does the C stand for?.....the world may never know. Its been up and down for me, I have had some scheduling issues and some procrastination issues, Hey! I live in paradise you know, can't ignore the ocean calling all the time.

I think I started out with these grand thoughts in my head, "Oh Yea! I will race through this and turn out some huge fixes or implementations." But, alas, as the days, then weeks have passed I have set my sights a little lower, but not too low! I have slowly started tackling small issues one by one, which after getting these implemented and working smooth is a great feeling. In this short period of time though, I have learned lots. Coming into this I knew very little python, "Hello World!"-- I now have a pretty solid base understanding of the language. I am looking forward to getting in to some more advance techniques over the rest of the semester.

The idea of UCOSP, itself, is great-- Getting us involved in some real world projects is great. We get experience working on a distributed team and we improve our skill set. Oh, and that little extra line on our resumes does not hurt either.

No comments:

Post a Comment